Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ah, the Beanie-ness of it all

To answer a question:

I do not really like beans.  Well.  I like green beans, quite a bit actually.   But I don't care much for other beans.   I have been known, on occasion, to eat a small portion of baked beans.   If the mood takes me.   Which it doesn't very often.

I am also not from Boston.   The last and only time I've been to Boston was the Christmas I was 5 years old.   I do have some distant relatives in Boston because, quite frankly, I defy you to find an Irish-American who doesn't.   I have only met two of these relatives and that was about 20 years ago.   We are not what you would call "close".

I do not grow soy beans.   I don't generally eat them either.   I do eat quite a bit of soy sauce.

So.  Beangirl.

We must go back, baaack, faaaaar back into the mists of the diiiisssssstant paaaaasssttttt…...

And here we are in the past:  We have a family friend whom I’ve known all my life.  He's the kind of guy who likes to make people laugh and likes to tease people.   Especially little girls (both make them laugh and tease them).  For some reason, known only to himself, he one day took it into his head to create this rhyme when I was about five years old:

“Kristine, Kristine, the Boston baked bean.”

Exactly.   A poetic genius he is not.

However, as you can imagine, this little phrase stuck.

Jump forward to the not-quite-so-distant-past (relatively speaking):   When I first got a computer at home it was a gift from my Dad.   He set it up and then set up my online account (the irony of this is pretty entertaining, since I know a lot more about computers than he does now).   Because he labors under the delusion that he is a funny guy, he labeled my Messenger account "Beangirl".   I was too lazy to change it.  Plus, it amused my dad to get IMs from “Beangirl” and I was indulging him.   I’m not totally heartless.  Just mostly.

And careening forward to the even-less-distant-past: when I needed a DBA for my work I liked the sentimentality of "Beangirl" so I kept it.  This is also pretty ironic since I am not a sentimental person in any way.  At all.   (Ask The Husband.  I only know what my wedding anniversary is because it falls on a major holiday.  And even then I forget about half the time until the day before.) 

But there you go.  "Beangirl Design".  Not the most brilliant of names.  But at least it usually sticks in people’s minds.  I did draw the line at making "Kristine, Kristine, the Boston baked bean" my slogan.  Although there was a bean in my logo. 

Well come on, what else would it be?

IMAGE_1

5 comments:

  1. I knew there had to be a story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat background to your "nickname" and so much better than the nicknames I was saddled with as a child. For some strange reason (something to do with an East-end London Cockney grandmother) my mother insisted on calling me names such as 'sausage' and 'tealeaf'. It only got better at school when I returned after a bout of Mumps (my 3rd dose of a supposedly once-only disease!). The other kids all picked up the lovely description by the teacher and I was known for years as "Mumphrey". The subsequent trauma led to the highly original title of my blog, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See this is why I like you. My clothing label was "jemima bean" (did you even know that?) and I don't really have a bean connection either. People always ask me and sadly I don't have a good backstory. (Although the jemima came from my sister & my favorite childhood flick, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhh! *Click!* (Lightbulb) So it has nothing to do with a yen for haricots, nor an oblique reference to their digestive after-effects. Well, the latter is a relief :) Oh, sorry, that was punny.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....