Sunday, October 3, 2010

In Which I Wander Around The House Shaking My Head In Confusion

People.  This morning I wrote a post.  It had photos.  It had arbitrary ranting about other people’s clothing choices.  It had deeply-felt self-deprecation at my own foolishness in the ways of choosing pattern sizes.  It was a good post.

And then, in the interest of keeping you, Gentle Readers, yes you well entertained and fully informed, I decided to try my latest creation on TLo.  Just one last time.  Just to take pictures and thereby astound and amaze you with the madness that was my latest sizing choice for her.  Because on Friday, people, Friday it did not fit.  Not even remotely.  It was too small.  Too tight across the chest.  Unwearable by TLo.  And I created a whole lovely post about that sad fact, rife with photos of poor TBO having to wear a hand-me-down shirt that was entirely too large for her.

And this afternoon?  It fit.  I mean, it fit TLo.  The person I made it for and who tried it on with little success.  On Friday.

WTH??

I’m pretty sure my children are conspiring to drive me mad so they can inherit my fortune.  Which would consist of a 10-year-old minivan and roughly six acres of fabric.  They are evil.

Anyway, here’s the blouse in all it’s glory:

go to www.ottoberdesign.com It’s Ottobre 1-2007 #34, which I’ve been just waiting for one of my kids to get big enough to wear.  Uh.  And of course TLo jumped right from the bottom of the size range to a whopping 146.  (Yes, you heard me.  One. Forty.  Six.)  I’m hoping I get more use out of it, because I think it’s the perfect school uniform blouse.

Ottobre-1-2007-34-front

Ottobre-1-2007-34-back-gath

Straightforward construction, cute details, cheap-but-nice fabric… Plenty to like.  Still, the fit mystery is… well, a mystery. 

Now, in all fairness, when I tried this on TLo on Friday, I hadn’t completed the buttonholes yet.  Buttonholes are not my friends and I prefer to ignore them until the last possible moment.  So TLo tried on the shirt and I merely held the plackets closed.  It was tight.  Very tight.  Too tight to wear.  Much cursing was to be heard.

I am so glad I decided to try it on her again today.  TLo is in desperate need of blouses.  And this ended up being just right.

front-TLo-3

front-TLo-2

back-TLo

12 comments:

  1. Wow. I think I would make my ten-year-old a 134.

    That's so weird (though good) about the shirt! Usually I have the opposite happen... it seems to fit while in progress and then is way small when complete. It looks cute, though! Is the smocking in the back stretchy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish that overnight thing worked with MY too small crap.

    ha.

    Super cute on her though...Hope it fits tomorrow!!

    Oh, and Lu went from a 134 to off the chart in Ottobre. Seemingly overnight, but probably just over a season. I thought I still had 3 sizes to go through before she outgrew them (plenty of YEARS left to sub in otherwords), but nope. I sewed for her one summer, that fall she couldn't wear any of the size ranges without mucho hairpulling and resizing/grading from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that blouse. It sure is a perfect fit! Weird!!!
    And, yes, my dear, I will adopt you and Jackie, too. Thanks for all your great comments about my grands' Halloween costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute blouse! Maybe the sewing pixies visited and altered it for you? Or those buttonholes are magic...
    And does it count as a "hand me down" if it hasn't been worn and is going to the older child? Would that make it a "hand me up"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable top, perfect for school! Love the color, too! As for mysteries... just grab a chocolate and glass of wine and repeat after me, "It was meant to be!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a strange thing to have happen, but so glad it all worked out in the end. Very cute details with that shirt. I can see why you couldn't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Willing something to fit? I've gotta try it. Wait, I have, to very limited success.

    I agree with you though, it is a good top for the uniform scene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute, cute, cute. You choose the best patterns from Ottobre. I should just make whatever you're making and save myself the brainwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sizing adjustments like happen to me too, but usually the wrong way. The pants elastic is just right, and in the morning the pants are falling off. Hmmm...

    I really love that blouse; the pretty details are really nice on her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, it would be okay with me if I dropped down a size over a weekend, with no weird diet changes.
    TLo looks adorable in it, and as usual is such a cutie when posing.

    It's nice that she's still too young to understand the significance of the central motif on your Japanese fabric. (The character means 'mountain', quite innocent.)

    The rugrats are after your 6 acres of fabric? Oh no!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. super cute little top. I occassionally have this thing where stuff is too small for me and by the time I finish it's too big! I would be happy if it fit! g

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute little blouse! You are going to have to reveal your "let it sit overnight and then it fits" magic.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....