Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Pantsy: Some Blatant Advertising


OK.  So I don't think it will surprise any of you to hear that I'm not really all about the advertising.  I don't like it.  I don't promote it.  I don't partake of it on other blogs.  ADVERTIZING IS EVIL!

Er…

However, I will forgo this dogmatic attitude towards advertising to provide (what I hope is) useful information.

Now just a little back-story: around 2006-2007 everyone was going all bajiggity on Pattern Review about pants fitting.  There was a mad slash-and-burn attitude in the air towards pattern adjusting and it seemed like everyone, just everyone, was doing all sort of tortuous and complicated adjustments in the search for The Perfectly Fitted Pair of Pants.

Enter the very first ETA Dallas Expo (circa 2007).  This was started by Peggy Sagers of Silhouette Patterns.  She had a pants fitting course.

I don't even make pants.  But when the pants-fitting course came up it was on a day I could get away from work, I had never had an opportunity to meet other garment sewists in person, the workshop was an hour's drive from my house and I thought to myself, "Self, maybe you don't make pants because they're so hard to fit."  Right, like I'm passing up that combo.

People.  Eye-opening.  After reading and observing all this Pants Trauma online, Ms. Sagers' instruction was... astonishing.  So simple.  So logical.  So... achievable.

Because of my solitary excursion into the periphery of ETA five years ago, I still get newsletter emails from Silhouette Patterns.  Peggy has started an online video series (to promote her DVD series, as far as I can tell).  I'll state right up front that I haven't watched them yet and they seem to have obligatory ads, but last week she did a pants fitting demonstration.

video link

If you learn a quarter of what she taught in her ETA workshop, it would be worth watching.

This week's upcoming demo is going to be T-shirts.  I believe the one before the pants fitting was
blouses.

I learned a lot at that workshop.  Mostly, I learned that "hard to fit" is not why I don't make pants.  Not at all.  The truth is, I don't make pants because I don’t like making pants.  That's a valuable lesson.  I hope my sharing this link helps you learn something valuable too.

 

(I was joking about the advertizing thing.  In case you plan on sending me hate mail about how wonderful your advertizing is and how very very wrong I am to denegrate it in this way.)

5 comments:

  1. I just watched the pants fitting video - it was so helpful. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! About 2007 I took a pants and a jacket class from PS - so far, I've made exactly 0 of either. I think with half a brain and a day I could have a well fitting pants pattern. I just can't be bothered. So lame - g

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make pants because I don't wear them. and I don't make jackets because I don't want to. We need to just accept some things and move on.

    As for the advertising? It's almost as high on my list of great stuff as telemarketers are. You didn't want to hear me telling off the guy who wanted to sell me new roofing this morning. Especially when he started to tell me that I was eligible for federal aid. HAH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like making pants either. They are boring. Navy blue, back, khaki...yawn...shirts and tees and dresses are more fun, so that's what I make.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....