Wednesday, October 5, 2011

I Hate Linen.

No, really.  I hate it.

In case you suffered from the misapprehension that I haven’t sewn anything in the past three months, I can assure you I have.  At least one thing. 

This thing, to be precise:

bad-seam1

No wait.  There’s more:

bad-seam-2-text

 

These, in case you were wondering, are photos of the linen jumper I made for TLo’s school uniform.  Which I took after I washed it.  For the fourth time. 

Yes.  You heard me.  I’ve only washed this garment four times.  And I’ll probably have to throw it in the trash.

 

I even piped the flippin’ pockets, people. 

pocket-piping

(It’s extra-wrinkly because it’s still wet from the washer.  Also, I took a picture of my toes.  Neato.)

dress

 

This is what I used to make the Evil Self-Destructionator 2000:  Ottobre 3/2011 #18.  Cotton gingham.  Outrageously poor-quality linen.

Ottobre Design 3/2011 #18

 

This is what a child looks like, frolicking and blithely making a mess, when she is blissfully aware that her dress has not self-destructed.

3-11-18 photo

 

I’m not even going to bother to show you what a child in our house looks like when her dress self-destructs.

9 comments:

  1. mmmm. i think world is having it's way with you.

    (to illustrate my point, WC is oozzflu. sounds like karmic illness to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would be really annoyed too! I've never sewn with linen. I didn't know that could happen. Even on edges that are tucked inside! Could you add some bias binding to the neck edge/arm holes in order to save the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the bright side, there is that optical illusion that you're very tall (i.e. your toes are very far away)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to suggest cutting off the top and throwing an elastic waistband in there to make a skirt, but I like Karin's bias-binding suggestion!

    This happened to the first dress I made Syo, but only because I used crappy thread and clipped the corners of the square neckline too close. I probably should've interfaced more, too. But that was made of mystery rayon and old cotton bedsheet, not fancy gorgeous linen.

    I think Oona's on to something... My word-verification is vendadm. Definitely some kind of vendetta of the karmic variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that sucks so bad. :-( I like Karin's idea of a rescue, I mean, if it doesn't work it was destined for the trash anyway, right? Good luck!

    LOL! My word verification is sombit...I say something rather similar in these types of situations. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bit of iron-on interfacing, understitching and top-stitching would have stopped that happening. Don't lose heart. Sew more and don't worry about your mistakes. Nobody ever got good at tennis by spending three months ruing a dropped serve. Sewing is a skill, a craft. You get good at it by practice.

    I agree with your friend, I would put a nice check bias binding over the top of that fraying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that seriously sucks and is so totally not fair

    I would try the bias binding that Karin suggested. That could save the day, uh dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unlike all these other do-gooders with helpful advice, I'd throw a tantrum, swear a LOT and consider torching it in sacrifice. Wait, don't start any fires over there in Texas!
    Also, I don't see any toes, except on the frolicking messmaker.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....