Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sunshine On My Shoulders Makes Me Happy. I mean, “…productive”.

Some people like to think of prioritization as some sort of systematic ladder or flow chart: everything has it's place relative to it's importance and once each thing is in it's place it's merely a matter of starting at the top and working your way down.  I, on the other hand, operate under the "crazy old gold miner standing in a stream with a sieve" theory:  I put all my projects and chores and obligations into one big pan and shake it until there's nothing left but whatever's randomly left on top.  Everything else is left to fend for itself in the mud.  I'd like to blithely say "this works for me", but of course that's completely ridiculous.  This is not a system that "works".  It's merely a system that exists.  It does not lend itself to productivity of any kind (it does, however, lend itself to owning the messiest and dirtiest house on the block.  There are some perks.)

Apropos of that little anecdote, over the past weeks I have in fact created several items in my lovely newly arranged studio.  I have not, however, taken any photos of these items.  And I do not, even more importantly, have anything particularly witty or amusing to say about them (we'll just ignore all of you who are now muttering to yourselves, "She's normally witty and amusing?").  I made TLo a ruffle-y corduroy tunic for school.  I also made her a little knit jacket with a faux bow on the front.  I added mod ruffles to her Ruffle-less Mod Uniform Dress.  I made a muslin of a knit duster for myself.  And so forth and so on.  I just can't seem to be bothered taking photos or writing about it all. 

Meh.

And apropos of that testimonial to ennui: Guess what I decided I'm getting for my birthday? Uh, three months early...? A sun lamp.  I don't mean one of those things raisin-like women from the 1970's baked themselves to a dark, leathery brown under.  I mean a full-spectrum light box, for the reduction of S.A.D., from which I suffer something fierce (as my mother said last week, “You are so SAD.”  I’m just assuming she meant Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Right?  Right?)

I'm hoping it will help with the focusing and prioritizing and energizing and whatnot.  Or at least I'll be really, really tan.  And leathery.  That's a look that goes with "crazy old miner" right?

www.sadlight.com

If I buy this, will my kitchen suddenly be that clean?  That would be super-fab. 

Perhaps I’m asking too much of a box with light bulbs in it.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like that kitchen, too, please! Shaking my pan has left only taking pictures floating on top, and sewing has sunk to the muddy ground. I'd rather be you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that kitchen looks like a horror movie! No happy clutter, no food - eiiiiiiiiiiiiiieiiiiiiii
    You know that lamp has turned that woman into a Stepford Wife. Just warning you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! You have to let us know how well this works! I am trying to get over postpartum depression in the midst of winter and the SAD is just prolonging it!

    My idea of the sun lamp says it needs to be by my sewing machine. Sorry honey, I really feel like I need to be under lights right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lamp shed so much light Little Mrs. Sunshine had no choice but to clean the filth, and everything was bleached a sunbaked blonde. I'm all for early self-birthday gifts and organization so long as the crazy old miner doesn't get filed away. Crazy old miners are much more interesting than Stepford Wives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a SAD gal too but I think I would need a bank of those light gizmo things installed in every ceiling of my house to survive the winter drearies.At least then my scalp would be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My best friend suffers from nasty SAD (to the point where she falls into a hole every single November since High-School and I don't hear from her until sometime in January). It sucks. You sewing and NOT blogging about it also sucks. Hopefully the lamp will help, and if not, well, at least you guys will have real sunshine again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you don't mind I'd love to hear a review once you've used it. We've had a dry, sunny winter (albeit freakishly cold), thank goodness, so SAD hasn't grasped me in its evil dark fingers this year except for a few 3-4 day stretches. But most years I would benefit from this. I've found it surprisingly hard to research these, even to determine what brands are actually full spectrum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When yours arrives, do let me know if your kitchen suddenly becomes that clean. That will mean I must order one immediately, if not sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another interested party in a review. Personally I have full-blown normal depression anyway, but I'm sure that the English winters don't help. Yes, I am English.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The light bulbs in SAD lights should be "broad spectrum" so they don't damage your skin. Since you have to sit with 18 inches of them, you cannot change the lightbulbs in your house to these lights and get the same results--plus they would be way too expensive. Check out alaksanorthernlights.com for more information. I bought my light box through them and was very happy.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....