Monday, January 23, 2012

Every Girl Deserves A Mink…. y.


A few weeks ago my mom bought the Evil Monkeys some minky fleece blankets with Valentine's hearts on them, with the idea of making them Valentine's Jackets.  Well.  With the idea that I would make them Valentine’s Jackets.  (I was not consulted.)

Now, I'll be the first to admit that minky blankets from the discount store are a bargain-and-a-half when it comes to buying fabric.  Each one of these blankets provided 60"x60" of fabric for $8.00.  You can't beat that kind of pricing.  I can't get a solid-colored minky for less than about $10/yard at the fabric store.  And the quality seems a little higher in these blankets.  Or at least, they’re a lot softer.  So it's worth it if you want to sew minky.

On the other hand, you then have to sew minky.  I hate sewing minky.

Seriously.  We will be picking fluff out of our hair for months.

Still, I ended up with a cute little cardigan/coat for The Big One. 

4-2011-21-front

I managed to bribe her into wearing it by putting cat buttons on it.  She'll pretty much do anything for cats.

kitty-buttons

She's a freak.

The pattern is Ottobre 4-2011 #21.  The only changes I made were to use the original hemming on the blanket instead of the hemline of the pattern (it’s slightly curved) and I added cuffs to the sleeves (because I really really really didn’t want to hem the minky).  This whipped up really fast (like, it took me less than 3 hours to trace and cut and sew, so a normal person could probably do it in an hour).  Of course, I didn’t put the pockets in.

Ottobre 4-2011 #21

I decided to use the same pattern for both Evil Monkeys, which actually worked out ok because they're both a 122 in height.  Of course one of them is a 98 in width while the other is a 146.  So there's that.  But I just cut out the 122 as-is for The Big One (it's a little loose) and now I can just widen the pattern for TLo and I don't have to trace twice.  I'm thinking this might be useful in the future.  Or at least for as long as they stay close to the same height. 

4-2011-21-blurry

Blurry, but happy.  And fuzzily warm. What more can you ask for?

11 comments:

  1. Coolness. A great bonus of the blanket is the hem that comes with it. Your girls don't mind having basically the same clothes? I like to dress my girls the same, but since the oldest is only four, I figured I could only get away with it for a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! You are a good woman to sew minty. I tried it once and am still vacuuming it up, years later, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kimberly: I'll make their clothes from different fabrics, so hopefully that will be enough. For instance these two coats will be from different prints. They're not too picky about that kind of thing though... in fact, they have almost nothing the same and would probably like it if they did. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute cardigan, very nice fit - hard to achieve with minky! Enjoy the cat bribing days. Next year it might be skulls (which wouldn't be so bad) or worse BARBIE!

    (Re your comment on my blog about learning from Dr Who - isn't that where everyone learns these vitally important tidbits which mean one's friends refuse to play Trivial Pursuit with one EVER AGAIN?)

    My word verification is stodacl. Sounds like it comes from a DW episode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a saint. I shudder at the thought of the clean up involved after the velour I sewed for Logan, and that was low pile. That is an adorable cardi though. And the cat buttons are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. minky, minky, MINKEH!!

    Those cat buttons wield amazing powers! Getting a budding young goth into brightly colored hearts?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom of the Year Award goes to BEANGIRL! Super cute...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Minky is dangerous stuff. I'm still finding minky lint and it's been 2 years since I sewed with it. And contrary to what my kids believe, I do clean (on occasion). Love the cardis, they look great! I think adding the cuffs looks better than the magazine picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute little cardi and it looks so warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will totally wear a minky cardi if you put cat buttons on it for me. Steeler cat buttons. With helmets. And ears poking out of helmets. ADORABLE.

    She looks so happy - well done, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so cute! And a bonus you didn't have to hem it.
    My boys were the same-ish height for a long while, so that was nice. (Uh, that sounded really Minnesotan.)

    If you use white twill, you could have a lab coat...

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....