Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Classic Oxford Blouse. Teeny.

I've been having some trouble working out what piece of my Uniform SWAP I should write about first... not because they're all so terribly interesting, more that I just can't get my brain organized around writing and taking photos and remembering what the heck I did when I sewed these up in the first place.

So I'm going to start with this little blouse. I have a fair recollection of the changes I made. And it was sitting on the table waiting to be ironed. Notice the wrinkles.
 

Actually, it's pretty cute. You can't really tell in this photo, but it's a very nice light blue oxfordcloth that I got for super-cheap from FashionFabrics.com.
 
I love them. They are the perfect enablers... er, I mean, purveyors of fabric. Nothing I purchased for this SWAP cost more than $4.25/yard. And with a teeny tiny midget to sew for, 1 yard was all I needed for almost everything. In a very few cases I bought (gasp) 1.25 yards.
 
Ooooo. The decadence.

This pattern was cut from Burda WOF issue 10-2008, pattern #139. Here's BWOF's version:



Très disco, non?

A little too disco for first grade, in my humble opinion. To tone down the, uh, tone, I decided to round off the collar point for a more girlie look. (It's a good thing I did. About a week after I made this, my daughter got a very short pixie haircut and does-- despite what we tell her-- sometimes look a little bit like a boy. The girlie clothes help.)

The collar and collar-stand on this blouse are HUGE. Seriously. David-Soul-circa-1977 huge. Throw in some flaired corduroy pants and a peace-sign pendant and you are good to go. Anyway, here's the collar redrafted.

 
(Oh. And please excuse the Aciphex pattern paper. Actually, I get this for free from a doctor's office. It's exam table paper. If you don't have a roll, get one. It is the bestest ever for tracing patterns and costs, well, nothing. Or at least, it cost me nothing. What a deal.)

(Seriously. I am the cheapest person ever.)

Here's the other major change I made to this pattern: I cut short sleeves instead of the long. Because the original sleeve was wide at the upper arm, I left it as-is and drafted in some pleats so that it would fit into a cuff. This gives it a nice puffed-sleeve effect with pretty minimal changes. I drafted the cuff myself and just used my daughter's bicep measurement plus about 2" for ease. I sized the peats to fit into the cuff length and added a vent with a classic lap. You could do the same thing without drafting the pleats by just evenly spacing them once you have your cuff cut out and then basting them down. Easy-peasy and totally cute.
 


Sorry, the following photos are horribly wrinkled. No, wait. I mean the shirt is horribly wrinkled. The photos are pretty flat. Either way, they're ugly. Here's the front and back of the sleeve.


Well there you go. That's about it on this one. I'm going to make at least one more for the SWAP in some other shirting fabric. It meets my requirements of being 1) different-but-not-too-different and 2) cutie-patootie.

That's a high-fashion sewing term, in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you want to say something....