Friday, January 28, 2011

People Have Too Much Time… I Oughta Know

If you live in the United States of America, today is National Fun At Work Day.

I don't think my boss got that memo.

It's also, in case you were wondering, National Handwriting Analysis Week, National Nurse-Anesthetist Week and, rather bizarrely, National Thank A Plug-In Developer Day.  Uh.  Right.  That's at the top of my list.

I have a great love of strangely-rhymed lyrics. (Yes, this is totally apropos of nothing in the previous paragraph. Apparently it's also National Non Sequitur Week.  Fine.  I made that up.  But it should be, don't you think? I like peanut-butter sandwiches.)

This is one of my all-time favorite lyrical rhymes, from the inimitable Rickie Lee Jones:

"Downstairs at Danny's All-Star joint
They got a juke box that goes doyt-doyt..."

"Doyt-doyt"?  Totally, sister.   I hear ya.

Ok, so that is a classic.  But then, there's this:

"Hey Judy, get Trudy
You said to call you up
If I was feeling moody.
Hey little Donna
I still want to.
You said to ring you up
When I was in Toronto."

Seriously.  Anyone who can rhyme "Donna" and "want to" and "Toronto"... that's just genius.   Also, y'know, Canadian… but still—genius.

 

Thank you, Plug-In Developer!

Next week is National Catholic School Week, National Meat Week and National Intimate Apparel Week. Really? Why didn't they just go with "National Fetish Week" and get it over with? Yuck.

4 comments:

  1. National Intimate Apparel Week? SERIOUSLY?! You're not making this up? How do the people who think this stuff up persuade the Powers That Be to implement it?!

    National Fun at Work Day I could get behind. If I went to work. (Downloading , printing and taping the Oliver+S ruffle halter pattern would be Fun At Work, don't you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tax dollars at work. Seriously, it takes an act of Congress to get this stuff declared. I wonder why no one has time to look at the National Budget? Hmmm. Maybe they should declare a National Investigate Why Stuff Is Bad Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, everyone knows it's pronounced "Tronna," eh?

    ... I recently got to explain to one of my children why "going to" isn't spelled "gonna" *headdesk*

    I would like to thank whoever developed the little plugin that lets me save .ico files in photshop. Now I can waste hours re-designing all my icons from one, easy program. Also the MysticThumbs guy who built the little program/plugin that greatly increases Windows' ability to display image file icons as thumbnails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the fun you would have with Japanese-English lyrics! Phrasing takes you to a whole new dimension where clearly it is ALWAYS Worldwide Guffaw Week or International Month of Disbelief.

    I like your new shrunken head picture. (That sounds bad huh? Really I meant it as a compliment, please refer to the above two holidays if you take offense.)

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....