Thursday, March 22, 2012

100 Years Old. That’s Right. Born In 1912.

I look pretty good for my age, right?

Don’t answer that.

So check out this fascinating little piece of photographic history that was running on BBC News online today:

Prokudin-Gorskii 1

Prokudin-Gorskii 2

Prokudin-Gorskii 3

Prokudin-Gorskii 4

These color photographs are 100 years old.  I’m completely fascinated by this.  Not only do they bring to life a past that is frequently difficult to imagine from grainy black and white photographs, but the actual process invented to create them is brilliant.

A coffee table book was produced in 1980 with Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs.  I wonder if the print quality was any good.  I may have to check into it.

8 comments:

  1. That is really cool! Those images look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law gave me this book. It's worth it. The photographs are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to buy it (used) on Amazon.com. I also -ahem- had to buy this book too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810993813

      Ooooooooo.

      Delete
    2. I might have to give in and buy that one! My mother in law was born in Tomsk and loves collecting Russian crafts.

      Delete
  3. Those are amazing! I didn't know they could take colour photos back then. They are so clear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is completely fascinating!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, they had colored clothing back then, huh?
    Those are amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....