Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Bad Patch. Bad, Bad Patch.

So I started working on the Evil Monkeys' wall quilt.  And promptly remembered why I hadn't ever used this pattern before.  It is Evil.  Pure pure evil.  Which I suppose at least is appropriate.

But O.M.flippin' G.  Eeeeevilll.

Now, the points of Lady Liberty's "crown" are paper-pieced.  The first one took me... oh... about fifteen minutes.  Paper piecing is really, really easy.  And fast.

The rest of the block is patch pieced.  I spent roughly two more hours trying to get three patches sewn.  Well really, one patch.  I am not exaggerating.  Two hours.  Earth hours, not Jupiter hours.

Did I mention that the entire block is only 7" wide?  Yeah.  Seven.  Inches.  Those patches are small.  And curvy. And totally impossible.  Ha.  Like me. Sadly, unlike me they do not redeem themselves with witty repartee.  At all.

I should have known things were bad when the author of the pattern says in the instructions that it's "difficult".  But she also insists (and I'm talking INSISTS, IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS) that the paper not be removed from the points before piecing the curved patches.

She's a flippin' lunatic.

I tried five times to do it with the paper still on and had to rip it apart each time.  Finally I just threw caution to the wind (figuring how much worse could it really get at that point?) and removed the paper.  It went much better and after two tries I was finally successful.

Although I use that term loosely.

bad-patch

It’s supposed to be, you know, a square.

Only about thirty more to go.

16 comments:

  1. I would never even consider attempting this! That said, I think your block looks good. Surely you can just square them all up at the end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sort of. one of the points will be off though.

      Delete
  2. I agree with both Karin and Oona. If your quilt starts to look a bit small, just make another border....or at least that's my theory. Or you could just quit after 4 squares and make it a wall quilt. Which is probably what I would do. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha. 30 squares IS a wall quilt. It's brutal. Karen Stone is clearly some sort of sadist.

      Delete
  3. Oh, honey, yes: you HAVE TO REMOVE THE PAPER before assembling the block. It is absolutely impossible -- on this or any other planet -- any other way. I don't care what the designer says. Clearly she is from another galaxy entirely.

    Every single one of my blocks was a little small and had wonky edges just like yours, and looked miserably useless. And it does not matter because somewhere in putting them all together and quilting it, fabulosity will happen. I guarantee it.

    Hang in there, it WILL be gorgeous when it's done! (And you will feel so incredibly awesome it will be worth the hassle.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have little to no idea what was just written about. That sad, carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be trying to cut the pieces a bit bigger on the edges to have fudge room. which would require redesigning all the templates and would *totally* save time. except for all the time I'd spend trying to make it work.

    I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Oona.

    That being said, it looks good to me. But what do I know?

    Also, I see, statue of liberty crown. I was like totally "oh, sunrises!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally going to look like suns with this colorway.

      Delete
  7. I can wait to see the finished, wonderful masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you had a look at Jean and Valori Wells' book "Radiant New York Beauties"? It has some great tips for this kind of block and has a great use of colour, especially considering the other quilting that was going on at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! I'm going to check it out a.s.a.p. I wonder if this is the basis of Stephanie's (Venus de Hilo) sew along that she's doing...? Checking it out, thanks!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! Venus de Hilo is right, it will look wonderful when you're finished. I always allow extra on edge pieces..for wiggle room. I'm lazy like that. You have to take the paper off though. The designer has no idea what regular.people sew.like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be so amazing when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....