Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Have You Seen This Dress? Call 1-800-LOSTDRESS

I am still working on the muslin of my so-called pencil skirt.  I'm pretty super-excited about it actually, so I'm going to post it up as soon as I get it sewn into a more completed stage.  I may actually have created that rare and elusive creature, The Wearable Muslin.  I know, I know.  "It's just a myth!" you mock.  "A hazy fantasy dreamt up by an exhausted woman who just can't quite admit that she has wasted ten hours of her precious time."  But I say, "NO!  It's real, I tell you.  Real!"  Well.  Maybe.

In the meantime, I have become obsessed with something else.  "No, really?  Not you," some of you say sarcastically.  "Really," I reply, completely ignoring your snarky tone (you know who you are).  

If you would turn to your right, Gentle Readers, you will see the never-ending slideshow that is my Wardrobe Inspiration.  In it is this dress.   (I have no idea who made this dress because I picked it out from MyShape.com four months ago and they don’t seem to have it anymore.  And I can’t be bothered to investigate further.)

mystery dress from MyShape.com

I love this dress.  Yes, I do.  Love it. I have no idea why I love it so much, but I'm telling you now: it will be mine.

And can I find a pattern to make it?  No.  I can not.

Now, I know perfectly well that I can make this dress (or rather the top I intend to turn it into) from any number of other patterns.  I certainly own several that would work.  This one, for instance. 

go to B5388 at Butterick.com

 

And this one. 

go to V8508 at VoguePatterns.com

 

Or even this one, remember this

go to V8460 at VoguePatterns.com

But they're not EXACTLY the same, are they?  No.  They are not.  If it's got a pleated front, it has no neckline piece.  If it's got a gathered front that I could convert into pleats, the sleeves are also gathered which I don't want.  If I use my coat pattern, I have to alter the yoke and remove the placket.  Plus, I've then made a shirt out of... my coat.

Yes, I can alter and redraft all of these things.  But I don't want to.

So, anyone have any knowledge of a pattern that looks like this?  Exactly this?

Mystery Dress line drawing Huh?  Huh?  Do ya?

 

I am so totally going to have to draft something myself, right?  Hmmph.

8 comments:

  1. Try Vogue 8509. It's VERY similar, although you'd have to change the bodice seamlines, add the yoke, and maybe recut the sleeve/shoulder seam. Or say "hey, that's close enough" and not bother with the tweaks.

    This is in my "what was I thinking?" pattern pile. I doubt I will ever make it, so if you can work with a size "BB 8-14" let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still muslining my pencil skirt, too. I figured that since I have to wait for the buckles from NY, what's the hurry...
    Cute dress, good luck with the draft, I'll keep my eyes open for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, that's cute!! I'm thinking - I know I've seen something similar to this... It'll come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about McCall's 5885 - only without the stupid ruffles under the yoke in front. You'd still have to covert gathers to pleats, but it has the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ack!! That is perfect! I was so distracted by the disastrous ruffles that I never even noticed the line drawings! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I could help! The ruffles gave me pause as well... What were they thinking???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like MyShape for inspiration. I used to be able to snag their pictures, but no longer ... waah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's another possibility, Vogue 8629 and it's a Very Easy Vogue pattern to boot!

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....