Friday, March 12, 2010

I Am Spartacus.

 

Spartacus

Yesterday I was home on a day off from work.  Which was a miracle.  Actually, it wasn’t exactly.  I was supposed to work this Saturday and so my boss asked me to take a day off in the week in lieu.  (Which actually has worked out well for me, because the job for Saturday got cancelled so now I have that day off too.)    Still, I was free.  FREE!

My original plan to use up this unaccustomed time alone was to start drafting a t-shirt block from my newly acquired, de rigueur book "Design-it-yourself Clothes" by Cal Patch.  But when I got home from taking the kids to school (and getting a desperately needed haircut), I looked around at my sewing room and with heart-sinking realization decided that this space was totally and completely unusable in it's existing state of disaster-zone chic.

To be completely honest, I've been putting off rearranging and resorting in the whole sewing-related area for... well, let's just say "a while" and leave it at that.  The problem with this mess, besides making it difficult for my easily-diverted mind to work properly, is that the sewing room is visible from the living room, which is where we spend about 95% of our time.  Yuck.

So instead of sewing something for myself (yet again), I decided to Clean Up:  I picked up the tottering piles of miscellaneous fabric, the unfathomable stacks of altered patterns and pattern envelopes, the mountains of arbitrary pattern magazines and the herd-like mass of half-empty thread spools that careened around every available space.  I cleaned out and rearranged three separate closets to facilitate this Great Sewing Room Revolution.  I was unstoppable.  I moved shelves.  I refolded and reorganized fabric.  I destroyed whole families of dust bunnies.   It took six hours.

And you know what?  Not only do I have a crisp, clear, organized new space to work in, I now have a whole shelf of unused fabric space!  A WHOLE SHELF!

This means I get to buy fabric, right?  It’s like war booty.

2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo!! I need to reorganize the closet in a desperate way, but can never seem to find the motivation. Perhaps the allure of finding some unused space...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! No pics? Get busy fillin' up that shelf!

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....