Saturday, March 13, 2010

Procrastination

So, in the interest of not doing anything product—I mean, in the interest of providing vital, useful information to you, I decided to take some photos of the sewing room/office.  My husband, who was sitting in the adjacent living room watching a rugby match, appeared to come to the conclusion that I finally lost what little was left of my sanity.  “You think people want to see that you cleaned up??”.  No, I don’t.  But pictures I did take.  Vastly interesting, right?  Exactly.

sewing-room-panoramic

Of course, the real reason I didn’t do a picture when I posted about my miraculous day off, is that while this room most definitely is an improvement on it’s former state, it’s still what most normal people would call, well, “a teensy bit messy looking”.  Whatever.  You have to take what you can get in our house and this is what you can get.  The fact that four people (and I’m the most tidy of the bunch) use this office space for “work” (i.e. messing around with junk) makes it a bit overwhelming to keep more than nominally straightened.

And just to make you feel much much better about yourselves, here are pictures of my fabric habit—I mean, collection.  You can’t see all of it in the corner of the closet (it extends another “pile width” behind the wall), but I think you get the idea.  The other image is the Fabric Cube which you see covered in the right corner of the room.  I have 2.5 shelves open in that cube and a “pile slot” open in the closet shelves.

fabric-storage

Even I can’t quite justify filling those up.  This is truly ridiculous.  I guess there’s nothing like the cold hard truth of photos to make you accept the grim reality.  And so on that note, I guess I’d better get back to my t-shirt drafting now that I have finally measured every conceivable part of my body.  Oh, the humanity.

EDIT: The reason we have this lovely dedicated space is that we force TLo and The Big One to share a bedroom at the back of the house.  Saying that, it’s the largest bedroom of the three we have and they have bunk beds, so it gives them a lot of space to play.  Which of course they almost never use, since that would require, you know, being in a different room than us.  Still, in order to facilitate the office/sewing area, my husband and I took the smallest bedroom (which isn’t unreasonably small, it’s not like a cell or anything) and agreed that I could have this space.  Well, of course by “agree” I mean that I said to him when we moved in “The girls have the big room, we have the small room, the front room is the office.”   To which he replied, “Uh.  Ok.”  And yes this house has great natural light in all but the back bedroom, because natural light is at the very top of my “must have” list in a house.  I’m pretty inflexible on that point.  Makes for a toasting hot house in the summer, though, and it wreaks havoc on the fabric if it sits out (hence the covered Fabric Cube).  There, you now know WAY more about someone else’s home than you ever wanted to.  I’m quite proud of you for reading all this.  You get a gold star!

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Very pretty. *she says with a covetous gleam in her eye*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Messy, my a$$ LOL It looks great to me! I think I will go take pictures of my room in its current state, and we can have an all-out messy contest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I posted my messy sewing room on my blog. Perhaps it will embarrass me to the point of actually cleaning it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at all that natural light! Its not messy at all, and yes, you do have a lot of fabric. Would you believe me if I threatened to have more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's definitely way for improvement: I see some empty slots in your fabric cube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous - ok you have to share, but a whole room would be BLISS! I have a desk, tucked into a corner of our open plan living/dining/kitchen. All my stuff is stored all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your husband has no idea; I love seeing other people's sewing spaces! (If only to get wildly jealous.) I won't even go into why it isn't messy; just imagine all the sewing/office/crafting took place in the same place you eat 3 + meals a day (dining room), and you get an idea what it looks like around here! The fabric closet is just wonderful; enjoy what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your space! Tell yer man he doesn't know squat! I'm jealous of all the great windows and light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for my gold star, I don't get enough of those.

    It's like when someone invites you in with the words 'please excuse the mess' and you look round and think 'if this qualifies as mess, good thing they can't see my house'!

    Your room is lovely, light, filled with important things (sewing machines and fabric, tables for drawing/cutting and a huge cupboard) of course we want to see it! Thanks for sharing and good luck with the t-shirt draught.

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see empty cubes too. You need help shopping??

    Hey, did your weight loss ticker move or am I imagining things...

    ReplyDelete
  11. It moved. A whole flippin' pound. I hate everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love peering into other people's spaces. And space you've got, girl! Seriously, that room is about the size of my apartment, I guess everything IS bigger in Texas! "teensy bit messy looking"? How do you figure? Now that it's all squared up, you can get back to making a mess, I mean, making garments. And I say cheers to that one more pound lost! It's one more in the right direction.

    Big in Japan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous room! and so tidy. I consider my sewing area tidy if you can make it out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great space!! I have got to get in mine and get straightened up again now that my Easter sewing is finished. Well, first I have some sewing for friends to get done, but then.......

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....