Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Knock, Knock, Knock-off, Moth… er… You Know The Rest.

I have Beyoncé the Giant Metal Chicken stuck in my head today.

---

---

So check this out: “Beyoncé” is in Microsoft’s Spell Check.

---

---

The mind boggles.

---

---

I’m trying to think up other famous people with made-up unusual names so I can Spell Check them too.

Um…. Condoleeza Rice was the only one I could think of.  She’s in there. 

That is awesome!  Yep.  I think you’ve really made it when you can be generically Spell Checked.  (I can’t.  My life sucks.)

 

Anyway to continue with our story:  I was going to knock off this top from Modcloth.  Honest.

modcloth

I figured I could use my custom-drafted knit top pattern with the smocked neckline, keep the neckline unsmocked, cut a binding the full length of the unsmocked neckline, make a nice little twisted-binding, run a pretty ribbon or tie through it and gather it up to the desired neckline length.  Easy-peasy.

And I could have done that, of course.  But I didn't.

Because I forgot that I was going to do that and I went ahead and gathered the neckline and then cut the binding strip to the finished length.  At which point I was highly tired of the whole thing and just wanted to get it over with already, so I just went with what I had.  I finished the neckline, tacked a silk tie to the front and called it skippy.


Hence, my version isn't quite so fun as the original.  And also not sleeveless.  Um.  If you didn’t notice.

modcloth-knockoff-1

On the other hand, it has a silk bow on the front.  That can't be a bad thing.  The bow looks better in person.  Trust me.

Of course, the first day I wore it to work my co-worker's immediate response was, "Oh that's cute.  And you can always change out that bow for a black one!"

Which I took to mean, "That top should have a black bow."

---

---

However, today the garment-and-shoe combination seen above elicited (from the same coworker) a heartfelt, "Well look at that nifty outfit you have going on there!" and a ten minute conversation about where I got the jeans, so... meh.  What can you do?  I guess it's working.

I'm going with that.

17 comments:

  1. Love the blouse! And I like the white silk bow! harrumph...my name doesn't come up in the spell checker either (the UK or the US version). I think they are a bit faulty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaHAH. you DO sew!

    forgetting for the moment your original scheme, i love it, and your neck binding is WAY cooler. like, scientifically placed. and you can always change it out for a red bow.

    (if it makes you feel any better, you're autosuggested in my browser when i hit B in my tool bar. that is, when you post with some sort of regularity. otherwise it's burdastyle.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the white bow and this shirt as a whole. Pssha - black bows are so two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I dig your version! And I think this neckline suits the sleeved version better. It fits you perfectly and you're lookin' great! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone always has something to say.

    I always think it is funny that on facebook, the word facebook pops up as a misspelling (as it is doing now). At least on Firefox. I am not wise enough in the ways of spell checkers to know where this omission lies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure, there are lots of things you "could" do! This is super cute, and the neckband is great with those extra wide stripes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, nice top! While I personally like the white bow, I still have three year olds so my default choice would have been dirt coloured. I just feel envy for people who can wear anything white. (Well, outright hatred probably)

    And DANG you're looking smaller every time you post! (Am I allowed to say you're looking great or is that implying that you didn't earlier?)


    Teeheehee - spell check doesn't like ooh, dang or teeheehee but it let me use colour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well thank you everyone! and Judy, I totally know what you mean... it's always a conundrum because you want to encourage people but then... are you implying they didn't look good before?? It's so nerve-wracking. Oh, the humanity!

    HahahhaHA! my word verification is... I kid you not: "login". Really, Google?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the white bow too! And I really enjoy your blog and your overall sense of humor. Thanks for sharing your projects and your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that top - the tie and the mid length sleeves and the wider neck band are all great touches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's freakin' adorable! And I love it with the white bow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I think it looks great. Actually I think the white tie has a much more nautical vibe and I like the 3/4 length sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the stripe change up at the neckline, very cute. The bow is a fun detail too. Amused by the co-worker's contradictory comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beangirl, you are rocking it. HOT STUFF!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The problem with knocking something off is it's so easy to get caught up in the little differences from the original, when what you've made is a perfectly neat, perfectly cute top in its own right. Which is what you made, and I actually prefer the un-twisted neckline (that intentionally-twisted binding wigs me out a little).

    Also, nobody notices jeans unless the rest of the outfit is stylin' :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the white bow - as a matter of fact - I like the entire shirt. Very nice and very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....