Friday, February 17, 2012

Lift… Lift… Lift… Aaaaaand… Rotate.

M’kay, so several people have pinned a nice little copy of a dart rotation chart on Pinterest in the past couple of weeks.  Which is, y’know, what I just said: nice.  However, it’s a small image and pixilated and hard to read and just plain annoying.  In that respect.

So I made a new version.

I’d say I was worried about infringing on someone’s copyright or something but I mean… c’mon.  It’s a dart rotation chart.  I have one in at least four different sewing books.  It’s not exactly the Colonel’s Secret Recipe or the formula for making yellowcake uranium.  Which actually you can get at Wikipedia. 

My blog suddenly just jumped up on someone’s “This Might Be Dangerous, Watch This More Closely” list.  Right?

You know how cloak-and-dagger those international food companies are.

My point being, this is all well and good except that I can’t ever seem to find a rotation chart when I’m looking for one.  This actually happened to me just last week.  Again.  It was irritating.

So I made a new version.

click to download a PDF of this chart

If you click on the image, you can download a high-res PDF.  And then print it out.  And then keep it in a binder labeled “Dart Rotation” so you can find right away instead of digging out six different books and sobbing in frustration for an hour because not one of the books has that chart in the “dart” section or listed in their index but you know they are in those books.

Um.  Or, y’know.  Whatever it is you want to do with it.

I really didn’t have anything else to say about all this.

Um. 

I guess go rotate something. 

Shoo.  Go. 

21 comments:

  1. You are an odd little duck, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. No I am not.

    And I'm telling mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I can get rid of the crappy one and pin yours! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This almost makes me want to sew. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, that's hilarious...I forgot to sign in because I am all incognito and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nifty. Now if I weren't so busy with all my spy activities, maybe I could use this on a sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OR I could save it to my Google Documents and maybe actually be able to find it. Because anything I print out evaporates within a couple of days anytime. Nice chart. Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, this is giving my flashbacks to my pattern drafting class from hell. Teacher was super strict and mean, but I learned how to do everything perfectly. I'm totally stealing, um, borrowing this in case I actually have to teach others how to do dart rotation someday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beangirl, you so need to put your name on this nice work sheet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice. i'm pinning it. probably printing it too. i might even actually use this chart...

    by the way, how much does google word verification SUCK now?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You'll like this too: http://thesewingspace.com/2012/02/02/the-creative-license-you-have-one/

    ReplyDelete
  12. How incredibly helpful! May I ask what boring but necessary household task you were avoiding at the time you created it?

    (Hanging head and going to pin it now.....)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um are you making fun of my random sewing acoutrement pins? Did I spell acoutrement right?

    Google word ver is crapola. I turned mine off. Spam! Come and get me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you!! I was tempted to Pin the other one but it's bad quality just annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very useful, thank you! I'm going to have replace my other pin with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no idea how I ended up here but glad to find this. The form is very nicely designed - altho somewhat theoretical these days. It was easier to get good results doing exactly this 30-60 years ago when women still wore bullet bras.

    Today, dart rotation isn't so neat or easy. Unfortunately. Here is a link to a somewhat related image:
    http://www.fashion-incubator.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/dart_distribution_area_heavy_vs_thin.jpg

    I apologize for the wording in it; it is less a matter of weight than it is bust size or even, bra styling. Bullet bras (circa 50's) would follow the cone shape.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such useful information! thanks for taking time for us. I have been sewing for years but I am self taught and this is just the kind of thing I missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Better late than never...I just happened upon this post via Pinterest. Thank you for taking the time to make the chart and posting it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super cool graphic. I'm sure I need this but... OK, so I've been drafting my own patterns now for about 6 years but now I'm feeling really super naive! Ummm.... can someone please tell me what's the purpose of this chart and what do I do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for doing what you did to the dart manipulation chart. I couldn't find my copy and wanted to pass the info to someone on Pattern Review. My searches kept leading to Pinterest but I had difficulty trying to get decent copies. Dart manipulation isn't rocket science but is more easily understood with a chart you can cut up. Something often overlooked with darts is they are best stopped about 2.5 cm or 1" from the apex point. For large darts and larger busted women it's often best to taper the last inch or so, otherwise they come out pointy like 1950's bras. lol. btw, the preview thing here didn't work and deleted all I'd written. perhaps you could check that out. Thanks again, Canary.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....