Sunday, November 8, 2009

My New Wardrobe: First Item

Ok, so I am still in the process of trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to make for my New Wardrobe. So far, it mostly consists of a variety of knit tops in various colors or prints, with a few woven shirts thrown in, all on top of a bunch of black skirts. The slideshow at the side of the page gives you an idea of what I'm thinking.

Yes. I am very boring. In my defense, I'm a Winter so I can get away with lots of black and white clothes.

Anyway, since I haven't really been able to focus myself well enough start fitting a pattern, I decided to begin with something simple. Really simple. Astoundingly simple. So simple, in fact, that it only took me twice as long to complete as predicted by the authors of various books and patterns. This is something of a coup for me, as I am The World's Slowest Sewer.

Um. That would be the slowest sewing person in the world. The World's Slowest Sewer, as far as I can tell, is in my old house in Papakura. Seriously. Flushing there was always a Russian Roulette experience. (Ha, see? I was going to say "a craps shoot" but I restrained myself. Admirably, in my opinion.)

My point is, I bought this panel of poly jersey from Fabric Mart (for a whopping $1.99!) with no clear idea of what I was going to do with it. However, since it's black and white, I couldn't really see any reason why it wouldn't fit into my plan.



OK, so that whole long intro is to say: "I made this skirt and it was really simple."

Here's how: I trimmed the two-yard length at the pattern repeat and then cut one side so that I had a rectagle that was 2.5" wider than my widest measurement (in my case, my lower hip). I seamed it up the side with a 1/4 seam on the serger. Then I measured and sewed together a piece of 1" elastic about 3" narrower than my waist measurement. I put this elastic loop around my waist and marked the top of the waistband so that I had an even hem (I always have to pull up quite a bit at the front waist). I sewed a fold-over waistband with the elastic inside and hemmed up the bottom with a narrow hem to preserve the white border.

Viola! Insta-skirt. Sort of. This all actually took me waaaay longer than it should have.





These are really bad pictures. I took them myself and it did not go well. Plus, I did say that I have not one appropriate thing to wear and I meant it. In these photos I'm wearing an old t-shirt that is way too big and also I don't think I would wear black with this skirt. I probably would wear a white top. I think (or hope) that it would balance my shape out a little.



And then after all that, I'm now a little unsure that I can include this skirt in my new work wardrobe plans. Does it look too... tropical? I thought the print was sort of interesting, but the more I look at it the more I worry that it looks like beachwear or something.



Thoughts?? Cool for the office or only for a cruise?

5 comments:

  1. I think it's great!! I saw those panels at Fabric Mart, but couldn't think what I would do with them. I think it will be very wearable with a more fitted top, and while white would be good, as a winter you can also get away with saturated bright colors, which would be awesome with this skirt. Lipstick red, royal blue, fuchsia - awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig it. Life is too short to wonder if it's beachwear/tropical, *mwah*. No worries! Wear your creation with pride when it feels right and makes you happy.
    A crap shoot, oh that was a zinger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool skirt! If I had to style it for the office I'd wear a fitted(ish) white shirt and maybe top it with a fitted jacket. By fitted I just mean shaped along the same lines as your body, not so tight you can't breathe. Jandals (you've lived in New Zealand, I KNOW you know what jandals are ;-) ) and a bikini top might be a little casual....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! But saying that, what with shoes being totally optional in NZ... that is a thing that is very hard for Americans and Brits to overcome, the optional footwear thing. But I agree, I think a "fitted" top would be ok and maybe a fitted short-ish cardigan of some kind. I'm so glad everyone so far is going for the office vote, I really sort of like this skirt and it has the added advantage of being pretty comfy to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you had a blog. I've been living on a different planet for a few months, that's probably why. Now that I've found you I wanted to tell you, that fabric is CUTE!

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....