Friday, July 1, 2011

I Like Pi. Or Tau-Chicka-Bow-Wow. Take Your Pick.

Right.  So due to the seasonal outbreak of math-geek fist-fighting, name-calling and general rowdiness, I'm sure you're all well aware (because I mean really, who isn't?) that this past Tuesday was once again Tau Day.

You were aware of this, right?

What.  Do you live under a rock?

Tau?  Pi doubled?  You know... tau.

See, March 14 is Pi Day.  June 28 is Tau Day.  Get it?  3.14?  6.28?

Damn, those mathematicians are clever.

Anyway, I've decided that from now on all our holidays should be numerical puns.  Unfortunately, this means they all have to revolve around math. 

---

---

I got nuthin'.

Still.  Geeks fist-fighting over whether to use 3.14 or 6.28.  That's pretty funny, right?  Because it's just so super-hard to add "x2" to an equation. When you're, y'know… an astrophysicist.

I think we should all start a movement to use 1.57 instead.  Um.  That means we have to change the calendar so there's a January 57th.  Let's see.... "Thirty days hath September, April, June and November.  All the rest have thirty-one, excepting February... and January, which has 57."

I'm good with that.

9 comments:

  1. well I'm afraid that over her 14th March is written 14.3, so that dun't work and 28.6 is probably not that funny either?!

    Our calendar has totally ruined your maths joke. Sorry bout that! That's MathS not Math.

    PedantsRWe. :D

    Not always commenting - always reading, thanks for the laughs.

    BTW is The DOG! good or bad? I iz soooo unhip.

    Cheers,
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Applauding the previous comment. I TOLD you it has an "s" on the end but would you believe me??

    I had to actually post something because I couldn't pass up the word verification. It's "shisse". Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its harder than you think to hit Mars with a pebble. x2 at an astronomical level and you'll end up hitting Andromeda instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These comments are making my head hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose it belongs more in the science world, but you should also note Mole Day, October 23. It "honors" Avogadro's Number (6.02 x 10^23), a measuring unit. I used to be a science teacher and we usually tried to do something "fun" for it. Note that "fun" is a very subjective thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in the land where sarcasm falls flat but a good numerical pun will bring down the house.

    I am not being sarcastic here, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My DH always celebrates Exelauno Day on March 4--Exelauno being Greek for "march forth". Except he calls it "Epilauno Day". I learned he had it wrong when I googled it for this post. Should I tell him? Should I divorce him?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i....

    ack.

    angie.a, ya wanna go to the mall?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I like the idea of Mole Day. Although like the Penguin, I'd prefer to put the day first (it just makes more sense that way.) But makes for less cool math connections.

    Really, though, isn't it a bit unfair to all those really cool math concepts that just happen to NOT fit into the calendar? How would you pick a day for sine? or i? Those are just as deserving as Tau, or even Pi.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....