Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Caution: Danger to Those Easily Bored

So here's the thing about being really sick during the holidays: instead of gaining the usual 5 pounds, you actually lose 5 pounds instead! This is totally awesome (other than the unquenchable fevers, unbearable pain and unmitigated wretchedness casting a shadow of darkness across the face of the entire universe-- um. You know, your basic illness).

And so because I'm starting the New Year in a much better place (mass-wise) than I expected, I feel inspired to really really really, no really, make a weight loss effort this year. Now, I will say that I really really really, kind of really, had that very intention last year. But of course, typically, my effort didn't last long. This is due to several factors, but the end result is that I was not successful. I weigh exactly the same as I did this time last year. Hmmph.

What will make this year different, you ask? Well. Realistically? Probably nothing. But I have decided that to spur myself along I am going to post a little tracker thingy here on my blog, much like Sherril's. That way I have some accountability, even if it is illusory and self-imposed. (Apparently accountability to my husband, who is my "diet buddy", is pretty non-motivational. His complete lack of interest in my being skinny or fat- while totally and completely sweet and one of the many reasons he's my husband- is not really a great spur in the direction of weight loss.)

My goal is to lose a pound a week. Aha! Seems so reasonable and easy, doesn't it? It's not. However, if I'm successful it means in less than a year I will have reached my goal weight. Awesomeness.

Why am I telling you all this? Ah, because it's "sewing relevant". Some people tell themselves and each other that they want to lose weight because it's "good for their health". Some people probably even mean it. I am not one of those people. I know it's good for my health, I just don't care.

No, what I'm interested in is entirely more "shallow" than this (although if you want me to explain to you why it's really not shallow at all, I can. I won't, but I can.). Because the truth is, I want to lose that weight so I can make better clothes. It's totally depressing to make myself clothes that I don't want to wear because I don't want to wear anything in the first place. It’s totally ridiculous to hoard fabric that’s “too good to use for fat clothes because I could make something so much cuter if it was a style for five sizes smaller”. This is going to stop. I can tell myself, "Well if it's custom fit, it will look good and you'll want to wear it" but this is just not true. Seriously, there is only so much a custom fit can do. So by June I will be selfishly making my own clothes, cute clothes, clothes that I want to wear or... or else! So there.

Ugh. This could get really really ugly.

All of which is to say, if you happen to be browsing at the side of my blog page and wonder what the heck that slider-bar thing is, that's what it is. And if you happen to notice that it's not sliding the way it should be, feel free to email me pictures of really really cute clothes. I need the motivation.

9 comments:

  1. On pound a week is a serious goal! You can do it!! I'll be browsing the web for cute clothes for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sick too, but it doesn't seem to have impeded my appetite, just my mobility.

    Stepping away from the peanuts now. And keeping an eye on your slider. GO!

    Big in Japan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were we separated at birth or somethin'? Seriously, it's like pixies came in during the night and wrote my next blog post for me; I could copy and paste this and be done.

    I found your blog about a week ago, and am now completely convinced we are kindred spirits.
    I will be keeping an eye on that sidebar. In fact, I might need to use one myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you've been sick!!! I love the idea of the slider bar on your sidebar. Where did you get it? I wouldn't mind joining forces with you. Perhaps we can get a group of bloggers in the same shape to join up and do this as a fun project to keep each other motivated. I understand the not wanting to sew for yourself thing. That's one of the main reasons I don't sew for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the side bar came from MyFitnessPal.com. I think if you click on it you'll go to their site. When I looked for other tickers, Ask.com had a bunch of resources for various places with free sliders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh, my DH is as loving and understanding as yours which also gives me zero motivation. Like the poster above, I think I could copy and paste the majority of your post for me.
    Best wishes and you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't need no steenking slider!

    (but the rest of the post, um, ya.)

    Will sacrifice (sigh) and immediately begin scouring the nets for cute clothes.

    Quick Q: Are we going to be unveiling the calves in said clothes?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHA! The Great Calf Question. Girl, you know it will take some serious weightloss on my part to unveil those calves, but that is my plan. I'm tired of hearing everyong rant and rave about Cute Skirt Books. I want a Cute Skirt too! Waaaaaaah.

    So yes. Calves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love thyself. Do it because it feels good. Notice how a nice meal sits better in your tummy than a junk food snack. 5lbs lost--congratulations! I just found your ticker under the monthly archive.

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....