Thursday, May 6, 2010

An Early Gift... Presumably For Mother's Day

My kids, a.k.a. The Evil Monkeys, have taken to "helping" me when I'm working in the sewing room.  You may recall from this post regarding my epic sewing space clean-up effort that I share my work space with everyone else in the family.  So occasionally, despite my essential inclination to Not Play Well With Others, I have to keep The Evil Monkeys occupied. 

They have decided it's ecstatically fun to "sew".  This involves skewering scraps of fabric (and any miscellaneous buttons they can steal) to my pressing ham with large quantities of my good glass-head pins.  You can see where this would be breathtakingly exciting.

That's why this morning when The Big One, a breathless TLo hovering behind her, handed me my pressing ham with a flourish and said, "Mom!  We made this especially for you!" I wasn't completely surprised.

A Gift

I'm a (relatively) good mom, so I played along.

"For me?!" I said brightly.

"Yes!  Just for you!"  confirmed The Big One.  TLo was nodding vigorously behind her.

"Well, that's just beautiful!  It's a...." I paused, searching for the correct assessment of their artistic genius.  The Big One frowned scoldingly.   Clearly I was missing the obvious.

"Mom!  It's a rat.  A dead rat."  The Big One smiled in hopeful expectation.  TLo clapped her hands in delight.   I was struck (almost) speechless.

"A dead rat,” I said weakly.  “Gee.  Thanks."   

I could hear The Husband laughing all the way on the other side of the house.

9 comments:

  1. I was gonna say "bird" but "dead rat" is...uh...good too....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing says 'i love you' like a dead rat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are some sweet and thoughtful girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I guess I'd say - weakly - oh how sweet - you shouldn't have :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahem. cough cough (wonder where they get their imaginative creativity?) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! I am laughing so hard I'm having trouble typing this!!!! How funny! They do grow up. My bday is tomorrow and while our middle daughter was still here (she was the last to leave) she baked me a cake and let LilE help decorate it. That's the first bday cake I've had in ?????? years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, (snort snort, snicker snicker) I think their creativity is adorable, and should be encouraged. What clever and imaginative kids! (And I am sooooo not showing this post to my kids - I'd never have a tidy ham again!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAHAHAHA!!! Now I"m laughing at Katie's comment too!!!!

    And...my word ver is "queencen" Obviously you're not queenly enough to be queen. yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. har har har !

    Didn't I tell you that you had a young Goth in the making? I assume that the pink factor was TLo's contribution. Too rich.

    Big in Japan

    ReplyDelete

You know you want to say something....