Yesterday I was home on a day off from work. Which was a miracle. Actually, it wasn’t exactly. I was supposed to work this Saturday and so my boss asked me to take a day off in the week in lieu. (Which actually has worked out well for me, because the job for Saturday got cancelled so now I have that day off too.) Still, I was free. FREE!
My original plan to use up this unaccustomed time alone was to start drafting a t-shirt block from my newly acquired, de rigueur book "Design-it-yourself Clothes" by Cal Patch. But when I got home from taking the kids to school (and getting a desperately needed haircut), I looked around at my sewing room and with heart-sinking realization decided that this space was totally and completely unusable in it's existing state of disaster-zone chic.
To be completely honest, I've been putting off rearranging and resorting in the whole sewing-related area for... well, let's just say "a while" and leave it at that. The problem with this mess, besides making it difficult for my easily-diverted mind to work properly, is that the sewing room is visible from the living room, which is where we spend about 95% of our time. Yuck.
So instead of sewing something for myself (yet again), I decided to Clean Up: I picked up the tottering piles of miscellaneous fabric, the unfathomable stacks of altered patterns and pattern envelopes, the mountains of arbitrary pattern magazines and the herd-like mass of half-empty thread spools that careened around every available space. I cleaned out and rearranged three separate closets to facilitate this Great Sewing Room Revolution. I was unstoppable. I moved shelves. I refolded and reorganized fabric. I destroyed whole families of dust bunnies. It took six hours.
And you know what? Not only do I have a crisp, clear, organized new space to work in, I now have a whole shelf of unused fabric space! A WHOLE SHELF!
This means I get to buy fabric, right? It’s like war booty.
Woo-hoo!! I need to reorganize the closet in a desperate way, but can never seem to find the motivation. Perhaps the allure of finding some unused space...
ReplyDeleteGood for you! No pics? Get busy fillin' up that shelf!
ReplyDelete